The Butterfly Trail is a gentle, kid-friendly hike with some gorgeous views of Snow Canyon and of the Petrified Dunes. The trail itself starts at the parking lot off of the main road in Snow Canyon (SR 300) and 2 miles later ends at the Lava Flow Trail. If you're looking for a nice walk in a park, and a chance to experience the beauties of sandstone canyons, this trail is for you.
Note: there is a $6 per vehicle per day fee to enter Snow Canyon State Park.
Distance: 2 miles
Hike Time: 1-2 hours
Directions from the I-15:
- Take exit 8, and head west on St. George Blvd.
- Go 1.9 miles, and turn right on Bluff Street.
- Go 1.7 miles, and turn left on Snow Canyon Pkwy.
- Go 4.6 miles, and turn right on Snow Canyon Dr.
- Continue into the park, and look for the trailhead on your left. You will be given a map of Snow Canyon, which will help you locate this trailhead and other trails of interest.
From the parking lot you can head left to the Petrified Dunes or head right to the Butterfly Trail. This trail is very well marked and well signed. Just follow the signs and you can't go wrong.
The Butterfly Trail starts off leading through a patch of red/pink sand until you reach a large mound of slickrock. After passing over the slickrock, the terrain starts to become more volcanic, and eventually T's at the Lava Flow Trail. Along the way, you may see lizards, chipmunks, and plenty of wildflowers.