Petrified Dunes Trail
If you are a fan of scrambling over slickrock, you will love the Petrified Dunes Trail! This trail is relatively short but sweet, but can get a bit rugged as it approaches the Three Ponds Trail. Snow Canyon State Park gets hot during most of the hiking season, so make sure you are equipped for the heat with plenty of water and sunscreen.
Note: there is a $6 per vehicle per day fee to enter Snow Canyon State Park.
GPS: 37.215624, -113.643948
Distance: 1 mile
Hike Time: 30 minutes - 1 hours
Directions from the I-15:
- Take exit 8, and head west on St. George Blvd.
- Go 1.9 miles, and turn right on Bluff Street.
- Go 1.7 miles, and turn left on Snow Canyon Pkwy.
- Go 4.6 miles, and turn right on Snow Canyon Dr.
- Continue into the park, and look for the trailhead on your left. You will be given a map of Snow Canyon, which will help you locate this trailhead and other trails of interest.
From the trailhead, the trail markers indicate the Butterfly Trail off to the right, and the Petrified Dunes Trail to the left. The trail is easy to follow to the dunes themselves, but once on the dunes, it can be difficult to navigate the trail. Just head in a south-westerly direction and follow the nook in between the dunes down out of the slickrock and look for the trail. Once the Petrified Dunes trail comes to an end, you pick up the Three Ponds Trail. Turn around and come back for a one mile out and back experience, or, add another 15 - 30 minutes to your hike time and head left on the Three Ponds Trail and up to the nearby Hidden Pinyon Overlook for some fabulous pictures!